The former prince was held by police on Thursday morning (February 19) following allegations made against him after the release of files related to paedophile financier Jeffrey Epstein.
Andrew, who has previously denied any wrongdoing, was arrested at home on the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk on what was his 66th birthday.
After being held in custody for around 11 hours, he has since been released under investigation by Thames Valley Police, but what happens now?
What happens next after Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor is released by police?
Andrew was pictured leaving Aylsham police station in Norfolk in the back seat of a car shortly after 7pm last night (February 19).
His exit was in a black Range Rover that had arrived at the police investigation centre at about 6.50pm.
Andrew was pictured slouching and looking drained and exhausted in the back of a vehicle as he left.
He arrived back at Sandringham later, his car sweeping past waiting journalists.
A statement released from the police last night (February 19) reads: “Thames Valley Police is able to provide an update in relation to an investigation into the offence of misconduct in public office.
“On Thursday, we arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office.
“The arrested man has now been released under investigation.
“We can also confirm that our searches in Norfolk have now concluded.”
Detectives will continue their searches of Andrew’s former home in Berkshire.
Thames Valley Police said it would not be making any further statements at this time.
Here is our update on this investigation: https://t.co/rQbXblzUHd
— Thames Valley Police (@ThamesVP) February 19, 2026
Despite his release, Andrew remains under police investigation, and it is normal for anyone arrested for white-collar crimes to be released after a short time.
As Andrew was released under investigation, it means he is not on bail, so he isn’t subject to any conditions such as not leaving the country, and he can be rearrested or asked to go for further interviews.
If the police and the Crown Prosecution Service believe there is enough evidence to charge him with a crime, which in this case is misconduct in public office, this would be the next step.
There is no time limit for when charges can be brought against someone arrested.
Why was Andrew arrested?
Andrew was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office.
It came following allegations made against him after the release of files related to paedophile financier Jeffrey Epstein.
Misconduct in public office (MiPO) is an offence in abuse or neglect of power or responsibilities by someone holding public office, according to Institute for Government.
The law applies to people in roles across government and public services, including elected officials, civil servants, the police and the judiciary.
The offence carries a maximum sentence of life imprisonment.
The 2020 Law Commission states that MiPO “is one of the most notoriously difficult offences to define in England and Wales”.
MiPO is committed when a public officer wilfully neglects to perform their duty and/ or wilfully misconducts themselves, to such a degree as to amount to an abuse of the public’s trust in the office holder.
Andrew is the first senior royal in modern history to be arrested.
While he is no longer a prince and has been stripped of many of his royal titles, Andrew remains 8th in line to the throne and a member of the Royal Family, but this will make no legal difference to how his case is assessed.
What have the King and other Royals said after the arrest?
Reports suggest that neither the King nor Buckingham Palace had been informed before the arrest on Thursday morning.
The Home Secretary was alerted to the arrest shortly before Andrew was taken into custody.
Thames Valley Police denied briefing the Home Office before the arrest, but issued a statement from the National Police Chiefs’ Council to clarify that the NPCC did so.
The statement read: “In line with routine practice, the National Police Chiefs’ Council alerted operational colleagues within the Home Office of the arrest. This gave 30 minutes’ notice before Thames Valley Police made the arrest.”
At around midday, Charles released a statement in which he said the police “have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation”.
King Charles leaving the opening show of London Fashion Week yesterday (February 19) as he continued his planned duties despite Andrew’s arrest (Image: Lucy North/PA Wire)
“Let me state clearly: the law must take its course,” he added.
The King carried on with his duties after Andrew’s arrest, with planned ambassadorial in-person audiences in the Throne Room at St James’s Palace.
While arriving at an engagement in The Strand, central London, Charles was met with questions about his brother, which he did not respond to.
The Prince and Princess of Wales are understood to support Charles’s statement.
Yesterday evening (February 19), Donald Trump said the arrest was “very sad”, adding: “I think it’s so bad for the royal family.”
Mr Trump, speaking to reporters as he headed to Georgia for an event, praised Andrew’s brother, the King, and said he “would be coming to our country very soon”.
He said: “When I see that, it’s a very sad thing.
“To see it, and to see what’s going on with his brother, who’s obviously coming to our country very soon, and he’s a fantastic man, the King, so I think it’s a very sad thing.”









