Below we’ll look at the supplements Andrew Huberman uses and discusses.
Please note that Andrew is not an MD, and does not give medical recommendations. He stresses the importance of talking to your doctor before making changes to your supplements.
For Boosting Cognitive Function
– For hard workouts or work sessions
One of Andrew’s preferred supplements for supporting cognitive function is Alpha-GPC (up to 3-4x per week).
If he really wants to push a gym session, or work session, he’ll take 300mg of Alpha-GPC prior. Combining it with coffee or yerba mate, and sometimes adding phenylethylamine also.
For Reducing Stress
Andrew explains in his Tools for managing Stress & Anxiety video that he occasionally uses Ashwagandha during stressful periods.
It’s a plant that grows natively on the Indian sub-continent, and has been used for >3,000 years in ayurvedic medicine for a variety of isuses.
Andrew notes that there has been significant research confirming this effect, such as a randomized controlled trial that found a 20% reduction in cortisol, and a 40% reduction in perceived stress, compared to the placebo group.
Cortisol reduction results from an Ashwagandha Study
However, Andrew doesn’t like to take it chronically, and will stop after a few days, or max a week, and then go back to his normal routines. This is to avoid dependence and a build-up of tolerance.
Andrew doesn’t expressly say in his video how much he takes, but to refer to examine.com for doses – where they suggest a low dose is 50-100mg and an upper dose range is 300-500mg per day with food.
For Maintaining Good Cognitive Function
Omega-3 Fatty Acids / EPA
Andrew explains that the most important food element for brain function is fat.
60% of the brain is made up of fat, and the remaining 40% is made up of water, protein, carbohydrates and salts13.
Noting that while most of us get enough omega-6 fatty acids, it’s common to under consume omega-3s.
Andrew suggests that everyone should be striving to get at least:
- 1 gram of EPA omega-3 oil per day
Potent sources include sardines, mackerel, salmon and caviar. Vegetarian sources include chia seeds, hemp seeds, flax seeds and walnuts.
Andrew aims to consume 2-3 grams of EPA per day, opting to take it as a fish oil supplement, on the basis that he rarely eats fish.